Monday, April 9, 2007

Chapter 2: One Moment

There was ONE MOMENT in time I'll never forget. One moment that changed my life like no other. It was about 5 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting at my soon-to-be Mother-in-laws home listening to my uncle's diagnosis of my fiance's condition.

Melissa, my fiance, had been sick for the last few weeks on and off and incredibly exhausted. Of course her concerned and caring mother thought late nights with me were the culprit. Still, we all knew the combination of fever, cough, night sweats, and more were something worse than the flu or common cold. As well, below her collar bone a curious bulge began to protrude just slightly. Doctors had previously examined her, but claimed it appeared to simply be an inflammation due to a respiratory infection. This was a likely possibility, based on the brief discussion I gave my uncle over the phone. Yet, something else told us that further investigation needed to take place.

Fortunately, the next day the opportunity appeared. My uncle Jeff, was a generous doctor who happened to be visiting the area for a reunion with some old friends. Jeff was known as the lucky one, due to the fact he still had hair. His four brothers, including my own father, didn't make it much into their 40's without the need for a hat or some kind of protection, while in the sun. But the wisdom, and stress of life as a doctor who dealt with conserving life's breath and at times its last gasp had shown through in his slightly greying hair. He had invited all of his nieces and nephews in the area to meet him at Outback steakhouse for the evening. There were about 15 of us, including significant others, and I thought this was going to be a great night. After all it wasn't often a poor college kid got a steak dinner, much less a free one.


After we arrived at the restaurant, we found our cousin Casey, Jeff's Son. Though it was good to reacquaint, since our busy school schedules had kept us from mingling often, I couldn't push away the anxiety that sat in my stomach as we awaited the arrival of the Doctor. Once he arrived, I began to describe her symptoms and pointed out the protrusion on her upper chest. I fired away with questions as if he were a celebrity and I a reporter trying to find the next big story. He calmly answered each with the typical "Its possible, but more information is needed to be certain." Then while waiting for others to arrive and in the middle of a busy restaurant, he briefly assessed her symptoms. First he touched softly the area where her jaw met her neck and then down where her neck met her collar. After a few brief inquiries as to the sensitivity in those areas, he was certain, certain that we needed more information. "We should probably head back after the dinner to do a more complete examination." Those were the words he spoke but behind the words I could hear something more. Was it concern, fear, or maybe just a Doctor protecting his nephew from losing his appetite over what may be nothing?

The dinner was delicious, though his comments on her diagnosis continued to play in my head. As any doctor would, he knew he must maintain that delicate balance with satisfying our curiosity and the reality that he may have a critical diagnosis in his own family. After dinner was completed and goodbyes were said, Uncle Jeff followed us back to Melissa's home to meet her family. We arrived at the home just 5 minutes from the restaurant and after a quick introduction to Alberta, Melissa's Mother and her sisters, we explained Jeff's desire to provide a more thorough review of her symptoms. They graciously accepted his personal attention and then Jeff, Melissa, and Alberta stepped into a secluded bedroom. The examination time was brief, though to me it was more like a Christmas morning as I impatiently waited to find out the good news that things were just as I hoped, while fearing that possibly I would be severely let down. With solemn faces they left the room and all of the family was asked to gather around the kitchen table. Gid and Helam, Melissa's twin nephews were only 2 years old and yet even they seemed to sense the importance of this announcement. "Well," His words came slowly and after a long pause, "the growth under her collar bone and symptoms you describe mean one of 3 things cancer, cancer or cancer." That moment struck my heart like none other had before. Best case scenario it was cancer... worst case scenario.... it was cancer. How? Why? What? A flood of emotions would continue for days of testing until we knew exactly what this one moment really meant.

Hold on a second, maybe that's not where the story really begins. Let me back up to the beginning, that first moment, the moment when I met Melissa...

6 comments:

Brit said...

Awesome entries! Ry never knows any details to stories so I never get to know things about his family. Keep writing so I can stay informed!

grammie said...

I can't wait for the next chapter, eventhough I know some of the story. I think it is great that you are using your creative side in this way. Keep writing and we'll keep reading.

Amy Jo said...

I loved the chapter. I think you have a gift for writing and a real talent to share with others. Unfortunately, many people in this world have lost love ones and I really think you can help them by sharing your own experience. I wish you best of luck, and if I owned a publishing company I would publish it. Love you!

Amanda said...

Where is the rest????? I a, waiting!!!! I know you have all the time in the world to write...HA! That black background makes it hard for me to read the tiny white words.....maybe it's just me.

Teana said...

OH matt!! I hope you get to finish this, of course when you get time. I'm going to cry.. you really have a talent for writing but I guess its easy when it comes from your heart!!!

Jamie said...

Hey Matt I had no idea you were a writer. Keep up the good writing.